What gives you the greatest joy in life? When does your soul sing?
We sing when we transcend ourselves and tap into the Divine.
When we witness continuity from one generation to the next, our souls sing.
Ironically, in these moments, we may begin to cry. Not from sadness but from intense joy. As clergy, one of the most heartfelt times for us standing under the marital canopy as we reflect on the souls of those present only in spirit and the loved ones physically present. All of their hopes and dreams are invested in the realization of a couple uniting and forging a new life—connected to the past yet embracing the future. Two recent examples from the Rabbi…
- As I guided the father of the groom to offer a blessing to the bride, I sensed that his soul was singing. He is a child of Holocaust survivors. As he held his son’s hand walking to the bride, he began to cry.
- A woman shared her joy upon the occasion of her daughter’s bat mitzvah. The feeling was like none other. The wellspring of her emotions flowed not to the beat of the party but to the rhythm of the ritual. Seeing her daughter assume her role among women evoked a deep and profound inner peace and happiness.
As theologian Rev. Frederick Buechner reflects, “Tears tell us not only the secret of who we are but it is God telling us where we have come from and where we should go next. It is life’s deepest pleasure. We achieve eternity.”
Our souls sing when we transcend generations.
Our souls also sing when we maximize a moment for a higher purpose.
At a recent seminar in Washington DC for advocacy, each participant reflected briefly on their best day and best self. One person shared, “The best day of my life was when I married my wife, when my children were born and a day when I advocate for my deepest values.” The feeling of joy warms us inside for we know our deeds reflect our destiny.
When you know you are in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing, your soul will sing.
Every one of us wants to sing. We possess a Divine spark that motivates us and inspires us. It is the inner drive for meaning in life. It is our call for transcendence, to love, and make a difference in the world. The more we lead our lives in tune with this spark, the more alive to our purpose we will be and the greater the impact and fulfillment we will have.
Here are five suggestions to discover your song. Your active generosity will unlock positive feelings inside of you. Creating sacred space will turn off the outside noise so you can hear your inner voice.
- Volunteer weekly.
- Turn off your cell phone or PDA for 24 hours or more.
- Take a walk by yourself or with a friend or family member.
- Reflect 15 minutes daily on your life purpose.
- Study a text of wisdom as anchor and touchstone for realizing your unique potential.
The world is waiting for you to sing the song of your soul!