People who have food allergies are often reluctant to travel. The good news is that there are ways to make sure your meals are safe, no matter where you go. If you are allergic to certain foods…
- Learn to say, “I am allergic” in the language of your destination: Je suis allergique in French…Soy alérgico in Spanish…Ich bin allergisch in German. (Download a free allergen-free dining translation cards.)
- Use the local language to say what you are allergic to. Dairy, milk, eggs are aux laitages, au lait, aux œufs in French…a los productos lácteos, a la leche, a los huevos in Spanish…and Milchprodukte, Milch, Eier in German.
- Eat only foods that you recognize as safe. When in doubt, do not eat it.
- Order special airline meals in advance.
- Bring plenty of snacks that you know you can eat.
- Tell restaurants and hotels of your special dietary requirements.
- Take along medicine for a food-related emergency.