Every American has been emotionally touched by the coronavirus pandemic and associated quarantine. Aside from very real fears of the disease and the grief over lost loved ones, the economic downfall has led to millions of people suffering financial disaster…students losing a semester of school…and brides, grooms, graduates and more missing out on major life events. Media and governmental messaging has worked overtime to portray the situation in the most dire and frightening of ways. The result: An American population living in fear on all levels…and mourning for experiences that can never be replaced and a world that is forever changed.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, Mark Goulston, MD—a psychiatrist…FBI and police hostage negotiator…and author of numerous books including Get Out of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self Defeating Behavior—joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to offer perspective and guidance on the very real and deep emotional impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the American public.
- PTSD and the pandemic increases risk for suicide (3:35 – 7:45)
- Fear vs. panic—do you have free-floating anxiety? (7:45 – 11:24)
- How to shut out the fearful inputs (11:24 – 13:45)
- The 10-word check-in to help support loved ones (13:45 – 18:20)
- “Affect labeling”—labeling how we feel is calming (18:20 – 19:55)
- What’s really happening when you get emotional (19:55 – 20:22)
- Finding “buddies” to help support each other (20:22 – 21:27)
- Beware indulging in the bad feelings (21:27 – 27:08)
- Step-by-step way to heal (27:08 – 31:14)
- How to help kids work through their fears (31:14 – 34:30)
- Providing support for your spouse…especially men who withdraw into their fears (34:30 – 39:40)
- Living with life never being the same again (39:40 – 41:10)
- Confronting specific fears as you start to go out (41:10 – 43:00)
- Hold your breath (43:00 – 43:57)
- Tactic for deepening emotional connection (43:57 –
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.