Our children are emotionally devastated due to both COVID-19 and the pressures they face due to the social strife in our country. While adults want to play politics with school openings, COVID strategies and headline news, our children are suffering from anxiety, depression and grief. How can you help your children through the extreme challenges and burdens being placed on them?
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, child psychiatrist Lea Lis,MD, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to talk about what her patients are experiencing and how she is helping parents and children to overcome the challenges in a healthy way.
Topics covered include…
- Critical goal for all parents (3:50 – 4:55)
- The two dominant issues for kids right now (4:55 – 6:35)
- Kids aren’t afraid of getting sick like adults (6:35 – 7:40)
- Impact of the trauma of COVID (7:40 – 10:58)
- Social unrest layering additional challenge (10:58 – 13:44)
- Prominence of Universal shaming and call-out culture (13:44 – 15:13)
- Are children fearful of speaking? (15:13 – 17:53)
- Critical to model appropriate debate and communication (17:53 – 21:07)
- Overcoming fear of leaving the house and returning to social interaction 21:07 – 25:18)
- Uncertainty creates unique frustrations (25:18 – 29:14)
- How to clear your mind in the moment (29:14 – 32:30)
- Helping teens through isolation when friends go out but they don’t (32:30 – 35:10)
- In person is different than Zoom and other virtual interactions (35:10 – 37:54)
- Striking the balance between support and encouragement (37:54 – 41:08)
- Symptoms your children are struggling with (41:08 – 43:53)
- Helping your child to share what they’re feeling (43:53 – 47:28)
- Long-term impact of COVID on the young generation (47:28 –
Learn more about Lea and her work at DrLeaLis.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.