When it comes to adopting healthy new behaviors,New Year’s resolutions get a bad rap. Even though half of us resolve to exercise more, eat better and/or buckle down on some other good-for-us habit, about one-third of us bail on those resolutions within a month. By the time the year is half over, those good intentions have fizzled out for 75% of people. Thankfully, there’s a solution.
If you want to make long-lasting changes for your future, the trick is to look to your past. In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, celebrity trainer Joel Harper joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to talk about his highly successful method for helping people achieve and maintain their fitness and other healthy lifestyle goals. Plus, he gives some of his best fitness tips! Joel is author of Mind Your Body: 4 Weeks to a Leaner, Healthier Life.
Topics covered include…
- Why you need “high-mileage” questions to achieve your goals (4:54 – 6:34)
- How to leverage your past success for future success (6:34 – 10:16)
- Using the 0-to-10 scale to create accountability (10:16 – 12:30)
- Getting to the bottom of unhealthy snacking (12:30 – 16:11)
- Identifying the deficiencies that drive bad habits (16:11 – 18:14)
- Don’t get trapped by excuses (18:14 – 19:47)
- Making willpower work for you (19:47 – 22:37)
- Shifting our belief patterns and “deserve levels” (22:37 – 25:33)
- Leaving your comfort zone to have a more balanced in life (25:33 – 29:58)
- Rewarding yourself for the little steps you take (29:58 – 34:54)
- What to do when you miss a goal (34:54 – 36:46)
- The right way to reevaluate your goals (36:46 – 37:48)
- 7 components to a successful workout (37:48 – 38:57)
- Stretching secrets for strong, lean muscles (38:57 – 39:48)
- How to work your body and your brain (39:48 – 40:33)
- Joel’s powerful no-equipment exercises (40:33 – 45:57)
- Best everyday stretches to balance your body (45:57 – 49:38)
- Simple energizing move for those afternoon slumps (49:38 – 50:35)
- Joel’s favorite shoulder stretch (50:35 – 53:03)
- 10-question fitness inventory (53:03 – 57:25)
Handouts from Joel Harper
Learn more about Joel Harper and his work at JoelHarperFitness.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.