It’s tempting to demonize business owners and leaders for their wealth. But most didn’t wake up that way. They had an idea and a work ethic and invested a whole lot of time and effort in growing their businesses. Successful people are built—not born. And that means anyone can achieve that kind of success, too.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, Tom Golisano, founder of Paychex and author of Built Not Born: A Self-Made Billionaire’s No-Nonsense Guide for Entrepreneurs, shares his secrets for success with Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner.
Highlights of the conversation…
- When things don’t go as planned (2:03 – 5:08)
- The sacrifice founders make (5:08 – 8:55)
- Difference in starting a business today (8:55 – 11:21)
- Importance of knowing the details of your business (11:21 – 14:01)
- Is an MBA worth it? (14:01 – 14:41)
- Risk of ownership vs. working for others (14:41 – 16:00)
- Are entrepreneurs born or created? (16:00 – 17:52)
- The secret to powerful negotiations (17:52 – 20:45)
- Bosses must be human (20:45 – 23:10)
- Unique interview tests (23:10 – 25:00)
- Appearance and manners matter (25:00 – 28:00)
- Skills lacking in the workforce (28:00 – 30:50)
- The power of silence (30:50 – 36:10)
- Making everyone win in a negotiation (36:10 – 38:12)
- Winning divorce-negotiation tactics (38:12 -40:09)
- Remove negative people ASAP (40:09 – 41:47)
- End things on a positive note (41:47 –
You can learn more about Tom and his book, Built Not Born: A Self-Made Billionaire’s No-Nonsense Guide for Entrepreneurs at TomGolisano.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.