Our screen-focused, seated lifestyle is compressing our bodies, causing pain and some surprising other ailments. Eric Goodman, Doctor of Chiropractic, created Foundation Training, which counteracts the pain-causing effects of gravity and lifestyle on the body with a unique series of core-strengthening exercises. When Dr. Goodman was confronted with his own back problem, mainstream doctors said that it could be cured only with surgery. Instead, he created Foundation Training, which has since helped members of the military, top athletes, film “action heroes” and others regain functionality. He outlines his program in his book, True to Form: How to Use Foundation Training for Sustained Pain Relief and Everyday Fitness.
In this episode of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Dr. Goodman joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to discuss how his series of movements helps “rewire the poor patterns ingrained in our bodies from modern lifestyles that cause pain, deterioration and inefficiency.” Regardless of your age, 10 to 15 minutes of daily Foundation Training movements can reduce pain, increase strength and improve mental function.
Other topics explored:
- Eric’s background, mission and reason for starting Foundation Training (2:30 – 3:20)
- Addressing the “sitting epidemic”, poor movement habits and compression (9:08 – 13:35)
- Rotation, rethinking the pelvis (16:05 – 19:35)
- A different approach to plantar fasciitis (19:50 – 21:24)
- How compression can lead to physical, psychological and digestive problems (21:31-24:30)
- How the little-known vagus nerve affects the entire body (21:31 – 24:30)
- Eric talks about training some of his world famous clients, including actor Chris Hemsworth (26:40 – 32:17)
- Decompression movements and decompression breathing (32:22 – 37:57)
- Anchoring movements (38:00 – 39:54)
- Hinging at the hips vs. rounding at the back (39:58 -42:35)
- How to improve alignment and stand up straighter (42:27 – 44:50)
- Eric’s hierarchy of footwear (45:54 – 49:05)
For more information on Foundation Training, you can visit https://stream.foundationtraining.com/.
Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast on Apple Podcasts and share a review.