Whether you love them or hate them, there’s no denying that mushrooms are chock-full of disease-fighting nutrients. In fact, there’s a growing body of scientific evidence showing that mushrooms help prevent and control such wide-ranging health problems as diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Mushrooms also strengthen the immune system to help fight bacteria and viruses—an essential benefit in the midst of COVID-19.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Christopher Hobbs, PhD, LAc, an internationally renowned mycologist and research scientist, joins Bottom Line President and CEO Sarah Hiner to explain why everyone should be eating mushrooms and to identify the ones with the greatest health benefits. He also shares tips on how to make mushrooms appealing to even the most finicky eaters and/or use them in supplement form. Dr. Hobbs is author of more than 20 books, including Christopher Hobbs’s Medicinal Mushrooms: The Essential Guide.
Topics covered include…
- Why mushrooms are such a remarkable food source (5:32 – 9:13)
- How the life cycle of mushrooms impacts nature (9:13 – 11:37)
- The amazing panoply of nutrients provided by mushrooms (11:37 – 16:02)
- What the beta-glucans in mushrooms do to fire up our immunity (16:02 – 19:10)
- Can mushrooms help fight COVID-19? (19:10 – 20:31)
- How to use reishi mushrooms to prevent and treat viruses (20:31 – 21:32)
- Using mushrooms safely if you have allergies or other conditions (21:32 – 22:47)
- From diabetes to dementia, mushrooms have huge health benefits (22:47 – 25:03)
- Why reishi is “king” of the mushroom kingdom (25:03 – 29:19)
- How mushrooms affect the use of pharmaceuticals (29:19 – 34:19)
- Cordyceps, turkey tail and Dr. Hobbs’s other top healing mushrooms (34:19 – 42:44)
- Do “supermarket mushrooms” have significant health benefits? (42:44 – 44:44)
- Why mushrooms need to be cooked…and how to do that (44:44 – 47:32)
- Organically grown mushrooms are superior (47:32 – 49:05)
- Mushrooms with natural insecticide properties (49:05 – 51:10)
- Good sources of high-quality organic mushrooms (51:10 – 51:32)
- How to use mushrooms in supplement form (51:32 – 58:01)
You can learn more about Dr. Hobbs’s work at ChristopherHobbs.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.