Headaches have many causes, but the main one is tension. Daily stresses and pressures can really put the ache in headache. What you need is a form of “relaxed energizing” to make the pain disappear. Here’s what to do…
Li Shou is Chinese for “hand swinging.” Hand swinging redirects blood flow away from your head, relieving the pressure on artery walls that have contracted with tension. The exercise also releases lots of endorphins—the body’s own natural morphine—helping to ease pain.
According to psychologist Edward Chang, this is how to perform Li Shou…
• Sit down and rub your palms together for a few seconds until they feel warm. Then stroke the front of your face from forehead to chin about 30 times—always in the same direction.
• Stand up, relax and smile. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart, toes pointing forward. Your arms should be hanging naturally at your sides. Let your eyes almost close as you mentally focus down toward your toes.
• Now, extend both arms out in front of you, then relax and let your arms swing naturally back behind you. Keep swinging your arms back and forth like this in an easy pendulum-like rhythm at least 100 times. (It’s called hand swinging because, of course, your hands go along with your arms.)
• Keep your mind focused on what you’re doing. Breathe naturally, and don’t let your attention wander until the exercise is completed.
Bonus: This exercise is a great stress reducer…whether you have a headache or not!
More ways to relieve stress…
- Stressed Out? Don’t Turn to Food…This is Better
- Craft Your Way to Calm
- Secrets to Staying Calm in a High-Stress World