Did you know that an average of 180 people go to the emergency room every day with fireworks-related injuries in the month around the July Fourth holiday? That’s according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. And you’ll be surprised by what seemingly harmless handheld item causes a big chunk of those injuries.

Sparklers burn at temperatures of 2,000°F—as hot as a blow torch. And 7% of injuries from sparklers happen to children under five years of age! Please do not ever hand a small child a sparkler. Never try to relight or pick up fireworks that have only partially ignited (and be sure children of all ages know that). And, of course, make sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them, or you may have fireworks of a different sort (are those police lights?) coming to your party.

Better still, leave the fireworks to the professionals! We can guarantee that a public fireworks display is going to be better than anything you can set off in your backyard. When something goes wrong with fireworks, it can result in severe burns, fractures, disfigurement or even death. Be sure to remind your loved ones about that. (Then go hand them each a red-velvet cupcake with white icing and blue sprinkles.)

Have a safe, happy Fourth of July holiday!

More outdoor fun…