No matter their background or circumstances, everyone has the ability to take control over their own lives. Steve Kelley did it when he realized as a child that he needed to break away from his family legacy of abuse. Lessons in reframing your perceptions…taking responsibility for all aspects of your own life…finding mentors…and realizing the power of our individual choices are just part of the gems in Steve’s book Break the Curse.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, author and entrepreneur Steve Kelley joins Sarah to talk about how he broke free and created his path to happiness and independence.
Highlights of the conversation…
- Gaining control over your life—no more victim (0:00 – 4:06)
- You don’t have to live the curse of a problematic family legacy (4:06 – 10:03)
- Change your framing…change your experience (10:03 – 16:01)
- The catalysts that help you break free come in many forms (16:01 – 19:28)
- Breaking free can be frightening (19:28 – 20:46)
- Power comes from taking personal responsibility (20:46 – 24:40)
- Steve’s big lesson from his tragic house fire (24:40 – 28:38)
- Why everything happens by choice (28:38 – 32:40)
- Letting go of people who are harmful to you (32:40 – 35:05)
- 3 devils in conflict-resolution strategies (35:05 – 37:50)
- Kindness, compassion and tolerance…the keys to creating opportunities (37:50 – 39:18)
- Creating options, choices and empowering others (39:18 – 43:00)
- Find the mentors who can help you (43:00 – 45:12
- Getting past the fear of asking for help (45:12 – 50:05)
- Helping children helps them and you (50:05 –
You can learn more about Steve and his work at BreakTheCursebook.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.