Did you know that humans are preprogrammed to be negative? It was a survival tool…but not necessary today. Good news: Our brains can be rewired for happiness one small message at a time. To explain why negativity is not a lifelong sentence, we brought in Dr. Shauna Shapiro, author of Good Morning, I Love You, a step-by-step guide to using the science of mindfulness to shut down the negativity bias that holds us back.
Shauna Shapiro, PhD, is a professor, author and internationally recognized expert in mindfulness. Shauna has published more than 100 journal articles and book chapters and coauthored two critically acclaimed texts. Her recent TEDx talk on mindfulness has had more than a million views.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Dr. Shapiro joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to provide a specific roadmap to help anyone rewire his/her brain for calm, clarity and joy.
Other topics include…
- The evolution of negativity bias (3:10 – 6:10)
- Explaining nature vs. nurture (6:15 – 8:47)
- How does Shauna explain to her patients that life really can improve? (8:50 – 15:20)
- Shauna shares a story of how mindfulness changed a patient’s life (15:25 – 20:07)
- Shauna’s version of mindfulness explained (20:08 – 21:41)
- The importance of intention (21:42 – 25:46)
- How does one start to practice intention and mindfulness? (25:46 – 29:04)
- The importance of attention (29:20 – 37:20)
- How kindness and compassion relate to mindfulness (37:21 – 39:50)
- Shauna’s 7 practices that help shift negativity (39:51 – 52:37)
To learn more about Dr. Shapiro, you can visit her website DrShaunaShapiro.com.
Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast on Apple Podcasts and share a review.